UA-83922364-1

Monday, February 13, 2017

Valentine's Day

Hi everyone!

Valentine's Day is right around the corner.

According to Wikpedia, it began as a Western Christian liturgical feast day honoring one or more saints named Valentinus. Legend has it that during imprisonment, Saint Valentine healed the daughter of his jailer, Asterius, and before his execution, he wrote her a letter signed "Your Valentine" as a farewell. February 14 became associated with romantic love within the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the 14th century, when the tradition of courtly love flourished. By 18th century England, the day had evolved into an occasion in which lovers expressed their love for each other by offering flowers, sweets, and sending greeting cards known as "valentines".


I don't know, I feel it's so commercialized now: Valentine's dinner, Valentine's flowers, and all premium priced. I had worked in a floral shop during university, and flowers, especially roses, were super expensive, the shops don't make that much money on them on that day, the prices at the greenhouse suppliers are increased due to supply and demand. I've told my husband he's lucky I'm low key and don't need anything for that day, haha.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer. I like all the red and pink, and I'm not normally a hearts kind of girl, but they're sweet for the occasion. I had stocked up on Valentine's last year for the girls, so they're starting to write them for classmates now. A is busy practicing her newfound writing skills. I like that the boxes of Valentine cards are enough for the whole class. We did some Valentine crafts last Monday the PD day, so over the weekend, I swapped out the Chinese New Year decor for Valentine's Day decor. 
I did make some cute felt Valentine pins, pictured in my last post. My girls will wear them tomorrow, and we also gave some to a couple family friends. Maybe I'll even make a heart shaped cake or cookies!

The black heart in the picture is pretty cool. I got a package of them from Dollarama, and you scratch out the design, revealing pretty colors underneath.

XOXO
SWAK (remember this one, sealed with a kiss!)

No comments:

Post a Comment