UA-83922364-1

Thursday, August 11, 2016

My Mother Was Right

Did you ever have a time in your childhood where you thought your mother was horribly unfair and now in retrospect, and as a mother yourself, realize your mother was right?

C has been invited to a good number of birthday parties. The friends are people she does play with and I'm familiar with the names; I have met at least one parent of most of these friends.

When I was in grade 5, I was invited to a birthday party of one of my friends in my class. She wasn't one of my besties, but someone I liked and talked to a lot. Anyways, I was invited, but she didn't pass out an official invitation, just her address on a scrap piece of paper. I wanted to go, I had other friends that were going. However, my mother had other ideas, she did not permit me to go. She told me it wasn't an official invitation, there was no other information provided, she did not know my classmate, never mind her parents or family. So I didn't go, and I thought she was so unfair, especially since my other friends did go to the party that weekend.

But now as an adult, as a mother, I completely understand. Obviously my friends survived the party, and I assume nothing weird happened at the birthday party house. However, you can't be too sure, it's a risk I would not be willing to take, and should the same scenario ever take place with one of my children, I would not let them go. For the very same reasons my mother outlined.

My mother was right.

Wait, does this mean she was right in other circumstances?? Haha, until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment