UA-83922364-1

Monday, August 22, 2016

Allergies

So I guess my little A has a peanut allergy.

We've suspected since she was probably a year and a half that she had a peanut sensitivity. I think the the first inkling was when we were at the airport and getting ready to head to Disneyland. We had an early flight and got there early to have breakfast prior to boarding. We had given A some peanut butter on toast and her skin got a bit pink and hivey. So we thought we'd play it safe and just keep her away from peanuts. She knew not to eat it.

Another time was last summer I think, and it was breakfast time again. We had coupons for A&W and went there for a breakfast, S and I had the big one, and the kids had a bacon and egger and hash browns. A was mooching sausages off of me. I had spread my toast with peanut butter, and cut some more sausage for her without cleaning the knife. She didn't want that piece of sausage offered to her an spat it out. So I don't know if it was the taste of peanut butter, the texture, or if it made her mouth feel funny. In any case, it seems she didn't care for the peanut butter.

I like peanut butter, but only eat it once in awhile. C doesn't care too much for it and prefers the soy butter, which she is used to eating, since she has it in sandwiches for school lunches once awhile. In this day and age, I can't make peanut butter cookies to share, so we don't have too much of it at home. I knew A didn't have a major allergy, since she eats food that is 'manufactured in a facility that may contain peanuts', and food that 'may contain peanuts'. I have been eating snack mixes where she comes by and picks out some of the non-nut snacks to eat, and she has had other food that may contain, or touch peanuts and has eaten them without issue.

Now, I keep forgetting to ask the pediatrician about her potential allergy. I figured it's not major, and that maybe I'd make peanut butter cookies on a weekend and feed them to her to see how she reacts. I didn't get to do that, but she did have one or two M&Ms after dinner that contain peanut butter inside this past weekend. She spat them out and threw up immediately. She threw up a few more times that evening, mostly just trace amounts of peanut butter, saliva and a little bit of dinner.

So yeah, no more peanut butter or peanuts. And thankful that if she has an allergy, it's not a life threatening one.

I wonder why there are so many allergies now. As a kid, I don't recall any classmates with peanut allergies, or any allergies really.

We made cookies today. Obviously not peanut butter. One of my go to recipes for gingersnaps. Yum.

Have a good one! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment